Hello there Tumblr! I have recieved an ask in my inbox that asked:
So I thought I would go over some of the basics that I have learned by experimenting with drawr! I have a limited knowledge of Japanese, so most of the things were figured out experimentally over a LONG period of time. Using drawr has a REALLY STEEP learning curve. I can barely come up with something I am satisfied with, and I started drawing on it around 2008~2009 ish…! U-unless you are very good with tegaki…you will learn fast if that’s the case! ANYHOW,
Hello, Dear Anon! Thank you for giving me a chance to explain the Drawr! <3
I hope I can cover most of the basic interface of Drawr for you here.
First of all, for those who don’t know what Drawr is, it’s just like Tegaki, but it has several minor differences. You can access it here: http://drawr.net You will need a PIXIV account in order to create an account there, I believe! Now, onto the actual interface,
This is the basic interface of Drawr. I numbered off differently in order to have a smoother transition between explanations.
1. This is the Size tab, (Katakana reads Saizu = size) and basically, it controls the size of the brush you can draw with. All you have to do is click on the different size dots. You can also use the keys [ and ] to change the size of the brush without having to click everytime you want to change the brush size.
a. Another thing to note, there are TWO DIFFERENT types of brushes. There are the:
Circle brushes and the square brushes. You can access either of them by clicking the Katakana (Saizu)
2. This is one of the most important part of drawr! Basically, these are different commands you can use to help create your picture. I will explain further with each letter;
a. This is the very useful UNDO button. The shortcut for this key is ctrl+z
b. This is the FORWARD button. (the opposite of UNDO) the shortcut key is ctrl+y
c. This is the BRUSH button. (Katakana reads, Burashu = brush)
d. This is THE MOST USEFUL tool that drawr has, and tegaki doesn’t. It’s the (lovely) EYEDROPPER TOOL. It’s really useful in creating different colours you want to create, since drawr has a very limited amount of colours to choose from.
e. This is the HAND tool. It doesn’t work when the view of the canvas (6) is at 100%, but when you are zoomed in at 200%, 300%, etc. It’s really helpful to move the canvas around. Just like the “space bar” on photohop. The shortcut key is N.
f. This is the ZOOM-IN tool. Self explanatory, shortcut key is J.
g. This is the ZOOM-OUT tool. Shortcut key is K.
3. This is another VERY important feature of drawr. Katakana reads Karaa = which means Colour! By clicking this button once, all your brushes will paint at 50% opacity. This is REALLY the KEY to creating new colours on the canvas! The colours listed beside the Colour button are the basic colours you are given to work with on drawr. If you think about using paint in real life, you only get a certain shades of paint, and you need to mix them together in order to create different colours. This is basically the same concept.
4. Is just a minor option you can add onto the canvas/workspace. The Katakana beside the circle reads “taima”, which translates to Timer! It will basically time how long it takes you to draw/doodle, etc. Beside the Timer are the Canvas size editing tools. The first square will make the canvas smaller, and the second will make it larger. The third button will make the canvas as big as it can go.
5. You can also say these are some minor details you need to know about. The white square with blue lines sticking out of it basically means “Clear the canvas”. Nothing will be left on the canvas after this! Be careful~ The one next to it is a floppy disc icon, and as you guess, it’s the SAVE function on drawr. **NOTE: You can only save up to 5 times! After that, I am not sure if it saves it or not..you may just have to post it, and then colour over it at a different time!**. The big blue button means “SUBMIT”. The last two buttons are ones I’m not too sure around since my knowledge of kanji is very limited, but the left option is “submit to public” and the right option is “submit to private/friends only” I think?
6. This is the canvas you draw on! Magic happens here.
Wow, this ended up being longer than I expected. I wrote a lot for the lack of information to share. Hope it helped you understand the interface a bit, Anon! Enjoy your time on drawr, and feel free to ask more questions as they come up! ♥♥
The blog I use more often at the moment is owlprincex. Go follow if you want
he aint havin none of it today
All AP needs are some unicorns/horses and chocolate to make sweet lolita happy
Looking to sell my Mint Chess Chocolate Angelic Pretty skirt, $230 shipped in the US, Gold Drink Me OTK socks are available for an additional $20 with the skirt. Handmade wrist cuffs also included for free.
if you don’t think i’m funny you’re wrong
Be seeing you at Fanfest this weekend.
University of Arizona’s Growth Chamber on Antarctica.
(From BBC’s Frozen Planet)